Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Community Service

Re: Winter, 2010

There isn’t much more to say these days. It has all been said or heard one way or another. There’s nothing that doesn’t wash over me over the course of the week. It makes the little feeling that I conjure up on this page trite and offensive. What must it be like to have no one but God to speak of? The loneliness in this place is like the dry air of the desert in which any drop of water is eaten up immediately. By the end of the day, my lips are parched and I too go home alone.

There is a long thin room with windows at either end, one facing the nursing station, one facing the outside world. There are a few couches squeezed in along the walls and a telephone. In it is where the ladies chat, nap, huddle around, gossiping, giggling. It is the few square feet of the building that feels like it could be real. Real relationships, real laughter. I’m afraid to walk in and penetrate it. I don’t belong in that real world and they remind me so with their teasing eyes.

Most of the time she speaks of nonsense. “My saint will protect me. He is the only one who is there for me. He makes me pregnant.” I can never remember what she said more than a day ago because nothing fits into the pre-existing tracks of logic in my brain. But in the moment, her words are clear enough to pierce through the many layers of human and professional propriety I’ve accumulated, to the point when I leave trembling and ice cold. Her smile is like that of a newborn child. Her anger is that of the perpetually tortured souls in the depth of the inferno. My heart goes out to her to be shredded to pieces.

What I’ve always needed desperately is to be loved and cared for, and yet I’ve chosen a profession in which I expose my deepest wounds to those who can’t help but hurt others. Perhaps I feel that their love is more meaningful somehow because it is buried so deep in pain, anger, darkness, just a little like mine. This may be the only way I know how to love deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment