Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Street Cred

There are many cracks in the city to fall into, for the water to run like the creases between pieces of brick on a sidewalk. I shoot glances down the avenues and streets as I pass by compulsively because they always lead somewhere I can dream – the Hudson, Ellis Island, Central Park, and the Bronx. No matter where I am, my vision can shoot that far, and I am reminded of just where I am in the world, and of the places I can still go whenever I choose. I should never be lost here. There are too many things that know too well where they are for things to be lost: the people, the storefronts, the smells. And as different as places become, everyone knows that we still share the same Park Avenue as those who might not have anything else in common with us. There is something empowering about that. But also something that puts me in my place at all times. The ladders are clearer than ever here, the distances between me and you in money, reputations, realestate, our history. It calls out to me, ‘climb!’ in the way a maze calls out to a mouse. I take pride in the lows and highs I’ve been on this climb, as we all do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment